If you are planning to officiate as a Referee for the upcoming season and have been registered with Alberta Soccer Association (ASA) for any of the previous 2 seasons you are required to complete a Refresher Course. ASA has advised that refcentre will be open from March 1st for registration. Please review the following flowchart to determine what is required with respect to your individual circumstance.
If you have not completed an Entry Level Referee Course you will be required to complete an ASA Entry Level Referee Course. Please see below under Referee Courses for more information.
As there are few opportunities for Entry Level Referee Courses you might want to consider doing an EMSA U9/AR Facilitator Course. This will enable you to officiate in EMSA games only as a referee in for U9 and U11 games and officiate as an Assistant Referee (AR) in all other games. Registration is required by 4:00PM Wednesday May 6th. Registration is done on the EMSA website. See the right hand side on the home page. You have the choice of having a uniform included or purchasing your own. The link can be found HERE
If you are an existing EMSA Assistant Referee (AR) and are not upgrading to become an Entry Level Referee you will be required to attend an EMSA AR Refresher Course which will be held online. Details will be advised when known
As of February 19th, 2021 ASA has decided that Mini Referees will not be able to officiate for the 2021 outdoor season. If you are 14 years old or older, as of May 15th 2021, it is highly recommended you complete an Entry Level Referee Course. This will enable you to continue to officiate U9 games, if you want to and do games U11 and higher. Please see Referee Courses for more information
The only courses as of March 1, 2021 that will be available are ASA Entry Level Referee Courses. Courses will be held online except for the field portion. To complete and ASA Entry level Referee Course you must be 14 years old as of May 15, 2021. If you are interested in completing an ASA Entry Level Referee Course please complete the following for HERE
It is unknown if EMSA AR Courses will be held, but if that is the course you are interested in please advise in the form above of your interest and you will be contacted when it is known what is happening
Field Information/ Field Closure Information
Most of our games are held on City of Edmonton fields. However we also use the EMSA West Complex and the Bill Gilhespy Soccer Centre (ESA). Please see below how games work at each facility. You can also check for other fields/facilities in the top right hand corner of the home page, in the event a game is scheduled at any other field/facility.
Although Assignr will be updated as soon as possible after it is known that the fields are closed, it is your responsibility as an official to confirm if the fields are closed. If the fields are closed do not go to your assignment.
Field closure information can be found below. The information for the 3 facilities/fields that we use are as follows:
- City of Edmonton
Phone: (780)496-4999 Enter 1
Please check after 4:00PM on the day of your game. If you are officiating U9 or U11 community games and the fields are open but the weather is marginal, please also check the home page of EMSA North at https://emsanorth.com/
- EMSA West Complex
Address: 10058 231 Street NW. Please see the map for driving directions HERE:
You will need to find the field when you get to the facility as the field numbers are changed regularly.
The field status is updated after 3:00PM. You can also check the status on the EMSA North home page at the top of the page. The link is HERE: https://emsanorth.com/
- Bill Gilhespy Soccer Complex (ESA)
Address: 14920 142 Street NW.
With the exception of U11 games, the field number on your schedule will not necessarily match what field you are playing on. Check on the board just before you enter the parking lot to find the field your game is on.
Please also be aware that if a game is suspended or terminated, teams are not allowed to remain on the field.
The field status is updated after 3:00PM.
- Other Fields/Facilities
In the event a game(s) is scheduled at another field/facility you can find the relevant information on our home page, in the top right hand corner.
CONTACT OUR ASSIGNOR
If you have any questions, please contact our assignor at the contact information below.
EMSA North pays by direct deposit only. If you are not on direct deposit, please complete the following form HERE. Payments are made approximately every 2 weeks.
The current fee structure is as follows:
- U9 games ($25.00 for community $35.00 for North Side United)
- U11 games ($35.00 for community $45.00 for North Side United)
- U13 games ($45.00 for community $50.00 for North Side United)
- U15 games ($55.00 for community $55 for North Side United)
- U17 games ($60.00 for community $60.00 for North Side United)
- U19 games ($60.00 for community $60.00 for North Side United)
- U11 games – (No community, $20.00 for North Side United)
- U13 games – ($25.00 for community $30.00 for North Side United)
- U15 games – ($25.00 for community $30.00 for North Side United)
- U17 games – ($30.00 for community $35.00 for North Side United)
- U19 games – ($35.00 for community & $35.00 North Side United)
Refereeing for some can be a calling but since it is also a paying position there are expectations and conditions. We want our referees to succeed so we take all feedback very seriously and will work with referees experiencing problems through a variety of methods such as additional mentoring or by recommending additional training.
Misconduct reports must be submitted the office by 4:00 PM the next business day following your game to ensure an investigative process is promptly initiated. Please forward any ASA reports to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 780-406-0825.
Expectations of EMSA North Referees and Assistant Referees:
- It is expected that all referees treat players, coaches, parents and each other with respect. Maintaining professionalism both on and off the field and applying the rules of the game in a fair, consistent manner will minimize the possibility of situations escalating out of hand. Respect is an earned expectation.
- It is expected that all referees will wear the appropriate uniform to all games.
- Except in the cases of emergency it is expected that any cancellation of games will be made at least 48 hours notice prior to the games.
- It is expected that all referees will inform the Assignor if there is a no-show.
- It is expected that referees will honor their assignments and will not turn back or switch games because of pay or other reasons.
- If you have completed your assignment and notice another game ready to go with no officials please contact your assignor immediately.
- If you have completed your assignment and notice a game ready to go but without officials and cannot officiate the game please advise the affected coaches that you have contacted the assignor.